If you have dentures, it’s very important to keep them in tip-top shape by cleaning them each day. However, there are many things you need to do to perform a proper cleaning job, so it could get a bit confusing or overwhelming. So, to help you properly clean your dentures, we have provided the following guidelines:
· Rinse the denture after eating: Dentures are like teeth; they tend to collect food debris and unwanted particles, so it’s very important for you to rinse your denture under water after you have eaten a meal or snack. Please be careful as you rinse. If you drop the denture, it can easily break.
· Clean your mouth: When you take the denture out of your mouth, clean your remaining natural teeth with a soft-bristled toothbrush. If you don’t have natural teeth, clean your gums, tongue, cheeks, and roof of your mouth with a gauze pad or with a soft toothbrush. Having a clean mouth will help you maintain a clean appliance.
· Brush your denture daily: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste to brush your artificial teeth each day. This will help remove the harmful substances that threaten to destroy your smile.
· Soak the denture: You need to make sure the denture does not dry out. So, please place the denture in a glass of water or mild denture cleaner overnight to keep it moist and safe.
· Visit your dentist: For a professional cleaning job, attend your dental checkups every six months so our team can properly clean your dentures and eliminate the plaque and other particles that live on your appliance.
If you need help doing any of these five things or if you need to schedule your next dental cleaning, please call John Blake, DDS, PC today at 248.693.5800 and talk to our caring dental team. We are thrilled to help you in any way we can, and we look forward to your call!